Sunday, September 11, 2011

Male Bag: Volume VI - The Bizarro Male Bag!

It's the moment you've all been waiting for! You finally can achieve fame and fortune in the blogging world! (And if you do, please pass some of that on to me. What the crap, right?)

Today is the first ever (and possibly not last due to a great response) Bizarro Male Bag. I asked the questions, you gave the answers. I'm still going to comment on the responses that you gave me (you know, for job security), but this post is mostly going to be written by ya'll! (I'm trying...not sure it's working. This Southern thing is tough to get the hang of)

Why did I choose today to do this? Well, television will be mostly dominated by the NFL. If you're into that, good for you! If not, you can still watch the Phillies, but it will probably be extra painful listening to our broadcast team force conversation about the Eagles or something. And, to be honest, you don't even really need to watch the Phillies today. We've already proven (again) that we're the best team in baseball...this time by winning the first 3 games in Milwaukee against arguably the hottest team of the 2nd half of the year and the team with the best home record of anyone. So, if you've got nothing else to do, you can just sit back and read some High Hopes.

We'll get to the questions now, but, before we do, I want to tell you all how thankful I am for coming through this week. With the pressure on, you rose to the occasion. Thank you very much. You're the best readers in the world. Because you are, I'll actually include names in these responses. Don't worry, they're just first names, and it'll help you achieve the fame and fortune I was talking about.

1. Is Cliff Lee becoming the Phillies front-runner for the Cy Young?

Cliff Lee rocks - he's one of the best of the best (love him more than Halladay!)
-Debbie


I weirdly agree that I like him more than Halladay. I would probably rather have Halladay start a big game, but I like Lee's attitude/personality better. Halladay is all business. So is Lee, but with a little more of an edge to him. Recently, in response to Charlie Manuel citing luck as a big factor in baseball, Lee said, "I don't think luck's on our side. I just think we're that good." Awesome.

Yes, Cliff Lee can win the Cy Young. What other pitcher has 2 months with 5 wins and an ERA of 0.50 each month???? He's in the same league with Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson, and he just keeps getting better!
-Lori


Check you out, Lor! Breaking out some serious names and numbers there...I love it! When you mention guys like that, you definitely have to think Cy Young.

I think it's a little too early (just a little) to call Cliff the front-runner for the Cy Young. He's slowly but surely on that path, but I think that Halladay and Hamels are still pretty evenly matched up. Yes, Cliff is 35 SO's ahead of Cole and nine ahead of Roy, but Hamels has allowed a decently smaller number of earned runs and hits than Cliff, and Roy is just a boss so he always seems to be one of the first to pop into someone's mind when the Cy Young topic gets tossed around. If I had to pick someone to be the most likely to be a front-runner at this point, I'd say it was Cliff, but I think Cole is still determined to prove himself and Roy isn't done impressing either. Things could even out very quickly.
-Kelsey


Well said! I agree for the most part, except I think that Cole has now fallen out fo the race. The biggest person we all need to worry about now is Clayton Kershaw. Ugh.

YES, I was leaning that way but after looking at the stats vs. Halladay in the past month and the overall year and last night's performance (this answer came after his most recent shutout) it became an emphatic yes in my mind.
-Sean


His recent work has impressed to say the least, and he didn't really do anything last night to change our minds.

2. Can Shane Victorino or Ryan Howard win the MVP this season?

Victorino no, though I can see why you would ask. Howard also probably no from what I've been hearing, not that I agree with that at all. Howard could win it with a huge September, though, I think.
-Sean


I agree with the assessment of Howard. As I mentioned in my last post, he has done exactly that before. And the favorites coming into this weekend were probably Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, and Matt Kemp. Kemp is on a terrible team, and Braun and Fielder have shown that their "value" is not exactly equating to wins like Howard's is right now. His 3-run homer Friday night was more valuable than any hit they've had this series.

Shane maybe...I mean I love Ryan Howard, but I feel like Shane has done more for us this year.
-Christine


I would prrrobably agree with this, but I'm not entirely sure which way I'd go. Shane has done everything, as compared to Howard who has basically just driven in runs. Driving in runs is obviously huge, but a lot of it depends on opportunity. Howard gets more opportunities for that than Victorino. If we really think about just our team MVP though, I would have a tough time not giving it to a pitcher. Which one to pick, I don't know. And if not a pitcher, I'd have to give it to Hunter Pence. Our offense didn't arrive until he did.

3. How horribly annoying were Thomas and Christopher last week?

Thomas was mild last week, but Hurricane Christopher was in full force. I don't even want to talk about this topic in length, I just wanted to tell you that he really was that terrible. I just don't understand why he says some of the things he does. In one of the many innings that he rambled through, he talked for two batters straight about why the color red is most appealing on jerseys in Citizen's Bank. As obscure as that sounds, yes he talked about it. It made no sense. (However, I do love the Phils' jerseys.)
-Kelsey


(rolling eyes)

Incredibly annoying! So annoying that I started to listen to music or practice guitar during games rather than torture myself with their inane, tired, old-headed, boring, did I mention inane? commentary for the first time I can remember.
-Sean


(shaking head)

They were on par with how they always are
-Christine


That's probably all that really needed to be said. What a shame

4. How bad was that evil wench Irene wherever you were?

I work for an insurance company in an office that handles claims for PA, NY, and NE, so Irene has handed me the busiest week of my professional career, and I hate her.
Answer to all Phillies-related questions: I don't know because (see above), and I haven't had any time to watch them.
-Tony


Sorry, Cheese. If it makes you feel any better, I had to work less because of it. So I guess, between the two of us, the world is still even.

Our basement was flooded (which I was home for) so we spent hours using our Shop Vac to suck up all the water. It was heinous, but we never lost power, so clearly you had it far FAR worse than we did.
-Christine


That definitely sounds annoying, but yes, you're right, I think we take the cake on this one.

Irene was a joke, she flooded Lenape a little but I laughed at her.
-Mike


I laughed at her, too. I sat outside drinking a Hurricane and listened to Bob Dylan's "Hurricane" on loop. Then she took my power for 146 hours - 19 more hours of suffering than any stupid mountain climber ever had to endure. Where's my movie?

Irene was a mischievious dame. At first fooling us to think we were in the clear, that she wasn't that harmful...(see also: everyone lost power early in the afternoon, we were good til 7pm). But then, she swept in like Jeremiah's off-color jokes...unexpected and much more offensive than I think even she planned. I mean, really Irene, almost a full week without POWER?! And we're not talking a work week. That's the core of her evil-ness (?). That she seemed to be harmless in our area, but really, deception is the name of the game.
And try being 34 weeks pregnant in the midst. Dare ya.
-Brianna


The writing skills run in the family.

5. Who the heck is John Bowker, and what do I need to know about him?

Newbie. So far, not impressed.
-Christine

John Bowker is nobody from the team of your favorite city of Pittsburgh!
-Lori

I have no idea... 2 AB and 2 SO?
-Sean


I have made it a goal to never actually see John Bowker's face this season. So far, so good.

6. Is there any reason that Raul ever came back from his injury?

He probably thinks he has one more month to redeem himself in your eyes... little does he know there is a better chance of you taking up ironing "for fun"
-Christine


The worst thing that could happen is Raoops trying to redeem himself in September. I can tell you with great certainty that he will have a solid month of September, thus screwing us over for October. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you look at his game log, you know when he'll be good and when he'll be bad. September good, October bad. October bad, get off my team.

I know... can we just sit him? forever?
-Sean


Is this a death threat of sorts? Because I think I'm on board with that. Fortunately for us, he'll probably die of old age within 6-8 months anyway, and then we don't have to deal with those pesky murder charges.

7. Do you really think your current city/state is more badass than Richmond, Virginia after the past 2 weeks?

After hearing nothing about Virginia in the news like, ever (minus the shooting at the college a few years ago), I have heard more during these past 2 weeks than I would have liked to hear in terms of bad news
-Christine


Funny how I move down here and things suddenly get exciting.

I think PA is way more badass than VA. First of all we have the Phillies and the Eagles and the toughest fans ever. We also have Dean Behrens. Our high school sports are also twenty times better, and we have cooler colleges than Richmond/VCU aka PSU and St. Joe's. We also have unbelievably funny announcers and professional athletes aka Vick, Raul, and Iverson.
-Shane


You had me at "Dean Behrens." You lost me at "funny announcers." You lost all credibility at "Raul."

Only experience I've had in or around Richmond was at 2 NASCAR races, a Hooters, and King's Dominion campground. NASCAR was boring and loud, Hooters we were waited on by what can only be described as an Amazon woman who was taller than any of the men I was with, and the campground was nice from what i can remember? If I include Philly and not just Tylersport I'd say I've had so many good times in Philly in the past 3 years that I can't see Richmond being better... The concert at bamboo bar Sunday night was EPIC.
TLDR; Tylersport sucks, Philly rocks and Richmond is mostly an unknown.
-Sean


Fair enough. I can't say I'm up on the Tylersport scene so I'll take your word for it. Take my word for this, though. Richmond spits in nature's face. (Then, apparently, nature spits back. Hard)

Pennsylvanians need to get over themselves. We're the real victims. First the quake, a mere 35 mi. away from us. Then Irene. And we're closer to the equator. It's really hot here...even into October. I have no words.
-Brianna


The complaining runs in the family as well.

8. Does any NL team have a prayer against us in the playoffs?

NO, no one stacks up against us unless the entire offense goes cold and Worley gets hit by another foul ball thereby falling onto Halladay's pitching hand, who in turn pulls it out and accidentally elbows Lee in the chest breaking a rib. Then and only then will any team have a legit shot at us.
-Sean


I’d say the Braves if we totally fall apart in September. Milwaukee is the next closest I think but I don’t feel they pose a real threat.
-Christine


I just want the playoffs to start now, because I think our last 6 games speak for themselves in answering this question. Braves, Brewers - better luck next year.

9. Is our bullpen going to be OK?

I sure hope so... So young but I think they'll be able to handle things ok. Don't know stats but as far as I can tell Stutes hasn't been lights out like earlier in the year. Bastardo is a BEAST though!
-Sean


Stutes has always had deceptively average stats. You watch him and think he's good, but his ERA has pretty much been around 3.50ish all season. That, to me, is very average to possibly even bad for a reliever. Bastardo is starting to get a little wild it seems like, and that's got me worried as we head into October.

Yes. We still have a month to get our act together.
-Christine


On the other hand, we do still have a month to get that figured out.

This is a great question and one I was wondering about a lot at the beginning of last week. I think/hope our bullpen will be alright, however I'm nervous with all the work they have had to put in with all the rain delays and now the extra inning game yesterday on Sunday (but least that sorry excuse for a major league reliever Herndon pitched so no harm done there). However we have had some blown saves/leads with Lidge, Madson, and Bastardo and just given up too many late inning runs a lot more lately. Now yes it is a long season and this is bound to happen, but I would have liked it to start happening a little sooner rather than the last month of the season when we should be getting fine tuned for our playoff run. Especially since we are in a stretch of 33 games in 31 days!! Crazy. Madson, Bastardo, and Stutes have put my doubts to bed however because they have looked a lot better and crisper their last few outings as compared to the beginning of last week and the week prior. Having said all that, I feel like we will be OK because we are still currently winning games, our hitting has been just amazing with producing runs without home runs (minus yesterdays 14 inning debacle).......and ohhhh yes please don't forget we have the BEST PITCHING STAFF IN THE MAJORS!!!!! Best pitching staff in the majors on the mound as well as at the plate. It has been great to see our pitchers add in the production of runs and help themselves out. So we should be alright because Charlie is a smart guy and will take care of the bullpen, however it is going to be a tough stretch.
-Mike


I love this analysis and feel like I would cheapen it by adding anything. One thing I would take out, though: "Charlie is a smart guy." I love him, and things that he does work out for the best somehow, but I would hardly call a lot of his decisions "smart."

10. How long do you think it would take you to go completely insane if your power went out?

No power - I could make it a lot longer than you before I went insane!!!!
-Debbie


Gee, thanks, Mom.

Wow that's a good question. I had books, candles, my guitar and my cell phone charged ready to test that theory though. I'd say 2 days?
-Sean


You could make it through 2 days in that way, just as I think could have. But then you have to start moving around and finding other places with power. When you've just moved to a state, it's not always that easy. Luckily, my friend Dave, who moved down here from PA as well, never lost power. So I had that refuge. (although he had no cable or internet because he had just moved in. What's the point?)

I could only function until night time (so if it goes out at night, about 30 seconds). As soon as there were no lights at night, I’d be freaked out and angry. How you did it for days amazes me. (Especially with school – my hair would have been out of control.)
-Christine


Night time is almost better (almost) because you can just go to sleep. It's the day time with no AC, TV, or internet that will get you. Not much napping goes on in 90 degrees with no air. And, luckily for me, we had a few days of school canceled and then I got a haircut, so I didn't have to do much in the hair department.

How long do I think? Well I know it only took me about 19 hrs to reach insanity. Sweating, crying, fearing I wouldn't make it another minute, let alone another 5 days. I resorted to cleaning the bathroom in the dark. And like, I was 34 weeks PREGNANT. Body temp is way up, not to mention emotions.


Moral of the story. If you live in Pennsylvania, I dont' want to hear it. If you're not pregnant, cry me a river. And if you're a non-pregnant Pennsylvanian, plead for forgiveness.
-Brianna


Ladies and gentlemen, my sister, Brianna Link.

11. How dominant did we look against the Reds?

Very dominant. Its like they weren't even in the same league... oh wait they aren't!
-Sean


Only saw parts of each game but we looked good!
-Christine


Good. As I put in the stats for this game (because I'm a nerd who keeps my own stats), it looked like we handled them pretty well. And the only thing I saw of the series was a home run by Shane Victorino that brought some light into my life. The Reds aren't the team they were last year, but they still are a solid team that shouldn't be taken lightly. Apparently we did not, which is always nice to see. Beating the teams we should beat.

12. Seriously, how much did Thomas and Christopher suck?

Please don't even get me started on two "broadcasters" they call Thomas and Christopher, like really come on Phillies ughhhhhh. I've come to the conclusion that no one in the Phillies organization watches the games on TV, they must listen to the radio or already be at the games. If they did watch the games on TV they would see these two majokers for the horrible trash like commentators that they are. Now I do not see every inning of every game, but, since I am out of school, and all I do is work (which = no life), I do watch a lot more games since I have more time and, please believe me when I say this.... that there is not one inning that goes by when I watch on TV that I don't disagree or just get mad at Thomas and/or Christopher for their horrible comments. I can't have one peaceful inning because they suck so much and get me pissed so much. Now my hatred for Thomas is not as deep (but it is growing) since he was not on all the time, and I was able to block out everyone while The Man, The Myth, The Legend, Harry Kalas was talking. However, there was one ear screeching voice that was able to penetrate while Harry was talking and, of course, it was Christopher's smug ass. I have been calling for Christopher's head since many years before Harry's passing because, little known fact, Christopher was trying to push Harry out while he was still alive, and I will always hold a grudge for that. So to end this I think I will just say suck it McCarthy and Wheeler.......#FranzkeLA2012.
-Mike


It's like poetry.

Did I mention inane?
-Sean


I think so, but it's absolutely worth mentioning again.

13. How much did you miss me? :)

Now that I have become accustomed to reading this blog, I did take notice this week when it was MIA minus the [rightfully] crazed rants about having no power. Glad you are back!
-Christine


It's good to be back! My life gets busier as the season gets more important, though. Hopefully I'll be fine. (I'll be fine)

I miss you a lot and wish you were still working at Pennridge!
-Lori


I don't miss the cart. I don't miss 3 different subjects taught in 4 different classrooms. I don't miss a significantly lower salary. I really don't miss lesson plans.
But I do miss the coffee breaks and the people involved with said breaks. I miss the students. I miss basketball and the team. And I miss Dert.

I miss you more than words can express.....
-Debbie


I miss you too, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment