Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sorry...Nationals Preview

The life of Cameron Koehler is not one that lacks stress or activity. With a 14-inning game, bin Laden dying, Pennridge baseball games to attend, the Flyers going into overtime, and an attempt by me at retaining my status as a teacher, it is difficult to get a minute to sit down and really reflect on a series as well as preview a new one within about 40 hours. I know what you're all thinking. "Here he goes again, giving up on the blog. Wow, it's super early this year. You really wimped out man." Well all I have to say to that is, "What are you talkin' about wimped out? W... Wha... Did you s... That guy hocked on my burger!"

However, in this case, I'M the one who...wait a second...I think I just...Yeah...I just had an idea.

It's not a really great or groundbreaking idea, but I just wanted to take a few lines to quote the greatest comedy in movie history (more on that in the next Male Bag). I'm just going to do a really quick preview of the Nationals in the next 6 minutes before I am off again for another Pennridge baseball game followed by some Pennridge basketball games. Yikes. Here it goes!

Game 1: Livan Hernandez (3-2, 3.23 ERA) vs. Cole Hamels (3-1, 3.13 ERA)
The Nationals are a team that Hamels likes to face. He is 9-3 with a 2.73 ERA against them in his career. Although I generally don't give much thought to statistics like that (because teams change every year), I think there can be a certain psychological advantage that a player holds against a team. And I teach psychology. And a student in my psychology class calls me Mr. Koehl Hamels. Is this an accident? I doubt it.
Prediction: Phillies 6 Nationals 2
Keep an eye out for: Howard starting to hit with a lot more power as the weather stays warm

Game 2: Jason Marquis (3-0, 2.62 ERA) vs. Vance Worley (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
A battle of undefeateds. The difference? We absolutely KILL Jason Marquis (see: Opening Day last season) and Worley is 1-0 in his very short career against the Nationals. A 15-pitch win last season. How's THAT for efficiency?
Prediction: Phillies 8 Nationals 6
Keep an eye out for: A much earlier exit for Worley this time as the Nats are able to figure him out the 2nd time through the lineup. The 4thish inning may be the death of him

Game 3: John Lannan (2-3, 3.78 ERA) vs. Roy Halladay (4-1, 2.14 ERA)
I hate John Lannan. If you don't remember, he's the guy who, in his major league debut, decided to make a statement by breaking Utley's hand and plunking Ryan Howard in the next at-bat. What a jerk. Oh, and Roy Halladay kills the Nationals.
Prediction: Phillies 3 Nationals 0
Keep an eye out for: John Lannan's control almost starting a brawl, except the Phillies realize that the Nationals are too pathetic to fight with

So there it is. Took me 10 minutes instead of 6. I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment