Friday, May 27, 2011

Mets Preview

*Note: I posted a recap to the Reds series just before this. Be sure to check it out if you care*

As the season has progressed, I've been able to compile a very flattering list. I don't want to go around bragging about the popularity of this blog, but I feel it very directly relates to this upcoming series with the Mets. Some of it may veer slightly off course, but there are some clear connections here as well.

So, here it is, the list of players who read my blog (and how I know they do):

Jon Niese
-As stated in my last Mets Preview, Jon is definitely one of my readers. After making fun of him for spelling the name Jonathon in an incredibly stupid way, he decided to let MLB.com know that he would only be going by "Jon" from now on. ESPN.com has yet to get the memo, but he is definitely only Jon according to Major League Baseball's official site. Jon-A-Thon? I guess he was tired of sounding like some fraternity-run fundraiser that collects change at intersections to help install toilets in needy areas of the country to justify their debaucherous weekends (too far? Sorry fellow Penn Staters. Sorry I'm not sorry)

The Arizona Diamondbags
-This was also addressed in the last Mets Preview. Those D-bags took personal offense to my relentless hounding of them as a franchise despite them never doing anything to harm me in any way. I will apologize to you guys once again. But, once again, it doesn't mean you're off the hook for my pointless disrespect.

Raul Ibanez
-Something that has gone on with me for years now with the Phillies is a tough love relationship. They do not respond well to me encouraging them. In some disgusting masochistic way, they enjoy hearing me tell them how terrible they are. The truly feed off of my anger and disdain. Raul Ibanez is our latest example of this. After hitting .161 in the month of April, I really started getting on Raul about how horrible he is. His response? The month of May. I have yet to let up on how much I hate this guy (because he's worthless), and he has responded by attempting to show some worth, hitting .337 in May. Too bad I still hate you. I even have been saving this link for 10 days now, waiting to show everyone that it's not just me that hates you, but Dave Schoenfield goes so far as to call you "maybe the worst defensive player in the NL." And I know what you're thinking now Raul. "Cam, you used the term 'tough love.' Does that mean you actually love me, and you're only doing this for the benefit of myself and the team?" Good question, Suckhole. Here's my answer.
In the past, I have tried to use these powers for good, but they often don't work unless my feelings are at least somewhat-to-mostly genuine. Players can't help but want to win me back, but, what can I say, I'm the most transparent thing since I left a Five Guys bag full of fries sit around for 2 hours. They can see right through to my true feelings. The most famous example of this was in 2008 while Chase Utley was in an 0 for 24 slump. I started my "Forget the Past: Start Hating Utley" campaign, but to no avail. I can't actually hate him. Baseball held out for too long on his slump and never regained his .320-hitting form he was at before said slump. (Although, .292 isn't half bad)

Jimmy Rollins
-The opposite of what is true for Raul is true for Jimmy. I used to use the blog basically only as a center for pure Jimmy-bashing. However, since I posted once last season saying that Jimmy was one of my top-3 Phillies players, he has clearly become complacent. I'm about to hit you with some serious statistics to show this, so get ready.
Since this post on June 13th of 2010, Jimmy has had 544 at-bats (including postseason). Over the course of his career, Jimmy has averaged 541 at-bats per season. We're gonna call that even. So, in his career, he also averages a .272 batting average with 31 doubles, 8 triples, and 13 home runs over the course of those 541 at-bats. In the 544 since I called him my favorite, he is hitting just .241 with 22 doubles, 1 triple, and 9 home runs.
The problem with this is, there's really no quick fix. Jimmy was a majoke before I started hating him. It was only when I admitted to loving him, though, that he actually started reading the blog and believing he was good enough despite how much he sucked. So, Jimmy, please stop reading this. Pretend it doesn't exist, much like it didn't in 2007. Go get 'em Tiger.

And now for a list of people who definitely do NOT read my blog:

Christopher Wheeler
Thomas McCarthy
The people who hired them


If any of the above actually do read it, what they are doing to me is just downright cruel. Preview time!

Game 1: Roy Oswalt (3-2, 2.77 ERA) vs. Chris Capuano (3-5, 5.36 ERA)
Oswalt is our only starter that has yet to face the Mets this season. His numbers in his career against the Mets are nothing to get too excited or depressed about. Capuano has overall bad numbers this season, but most of the damage has been done to him by righties, who are hitting .312 on the season against him. Our lineup, though, has become pretty lefty-heavy. I would expect this game to stay pretty close, and our bullpens will hold up much better. This season, the Mets bullpen has a 4.50 ERA against us, and ours has a 1.96 ERA against them. I like our chances
Prediction: Phillies 4 Mets 2
Keep an eye out for: Wilson Valdez driving in a few runs. He's hitting .429 against the Mets this season, and he will probably get the start at second over Utley with a left-handed pitcher

Game 2: Cole Hamels (6-2, 3.06 ERA) vs. Mike Pelfrey (3-4, 5.37 ERA)
Cole will be looking to avenge his only bad start of the season, which also happened to be his first start of the season. He lasted only 2.2 innings and gave up 6 earned runs. He's only given up 17 since then in 65 innings. Mike Pelfrey, on the other hand, is more than likely dreading this game. He has a 14.21 ERA against us in 2 starts this season, both games in which we put a 10-spot up on the scoreboard. Howard eats this guy for breakfast, and he has a homer off of him in each of his first 2 starts against the Phils.
Prediction: Phillies 10 Mets 2
Keep an eye out for: another Ryan Howard home run. Since that prediction feels too easy, I'll also say that Cole lasts 8 innings.

Game 3: Vance Worley (2-0, 2.14 ERA) vs. Jon Niese (3-5, 4.33 ERA)
Worley is getting his second start against the Mets, and he pitched very well the first time around. He went 6 and gave up just 2 hits. Normally, I might be worried that they are getting a second look at him, but it doesn't seem like any of their hitters got much of a look the first time since we took him out after 6. Niese is also 0-2 against us this season, but he gave up 6 runs the first time and only 2 the second. This game will more than likely be a battle as well, once again possibly coming down to bullpens.
Prediction: Phillies 3 Mets 2
Keep an eye out for: a big day from Polanco. He is 6 for 16 with 4 doubles in his career against Niese, and is hitting .407 against the Mets this season

No comments:

Post a Comment