Wednesday, April 4, 2012

2012 Season Predictions

Before reading this, make sure you check out the 2012 Season Preview below. I wanted to make them separate posts to act like I didn't just type 2,300 words for you to read.

Every season I come up with some random number of predictions for the season. Some of them are awesome (predicted that Mayberry would hit 15 homers last season), and some of them are terrible (predicted that Blanton would win 15 games last season). This year is different, though. This year, all of the following predictions will be correct. And we'll go ahead and make it 6 predictions. If you ask why, I plan on telling you a different story than I tell everyone else who asks why. So that could be fun for you I suppose.

1. Roy Halladay will win the NL Cy Young. Two years ago I had him winning 22 and the Cy Young, and he got 21 wins and the Cy Young. This year I'll predict 20 wins.

2. Shane Victorino will lead the league in triples. I just saw a commercial in which he said this, and Uncle Chuck said "Yeah you will." That's enough for me.

3. Jimmy Rollins will be a big factor in the MVP race. When I think back on this era of Phillies baseball, Jimmy, Chase, and Ryan will all stand out to me. With 2 of them possibly missing half the season, I say the third steps it up. When Utley went down in 2007, that's when Jimmy made his move toward MVP. I think he turns it on early and keeps it going this year, helping to prove that the Phillies were smart to keep him around.

4. Blog breaks this year will be much more man-made. Last year saw several natural disasters interrupt my consistency with posting updates. This year, though, I can already foresee a few problems. Paul, Cheese, and Andria will all be getting married at some point during the season (the nerve). Frequent trips to see Kelli could also affect a series preview or 2.

5. John Mayberry will bat .280 and hit 25 home runs. You know I had to have something in here about Mayberry. For the first time, though, it appears that he will actually get consistent at-bats. We have never had faith in him against righties, but his numbers last year (.250 AVG/.330 OBP/.455 SLG) were actually better than the league average (.248/.308/.387). Expect some serious production with the increased playing time.

6. The Phillies will beat the Angels in a 7-game World Series. I feel really weird predicting anything less than a World Series win, and I've done a really nice job in previewing the season to make myself believe we can do it. The Angels are pretty sick this year with the addition of Albert Pujols and CJ Wilson.

I also want to give a few quick predictions for the rest of the league. I know y'all got really excited about gambling because of my season preview, so I'll go ahead and tell you which teams you should bet on to win their respective divisions, along with their odds*.

NL East - Phillies (5/8) I think the Braves could give us a run for our money, but I am not as threatened by the Marlins as some might be. I think there are too many big personalities on that team now to work, including manager Ozzie Guillen. Also, Jose Reyes is a loser.

NL Central - Cardinals (7/2) I feel like you shouldn't bet against the defending champions, even if they did just lose one of the best managers in baseball history along with one of the best players in baseball history. Yikes.

NL West - Giants (7/5) I would say the Rockies because I have a secret crush on the Rockies, but Jamie Moyer is their #2 starter. I did not just make that up. I also don't know that the Diamondbags are for real.

AL East - Rays (4/1) They have better starting pitching than the Yankees, and I HATE Bobby Valentine. Rays all the way.

AL Central - Tigers (2/9) This feels almost too easy. Like I should put a few hundred dollars on this. Does any other team stand a chaynce? Justin Verlander, Miguel Cabrera, and Prince Fielder will own that city by the end of the season (which isn't that difficult because it's Detroit. HEYOHHH!!)

AL West - Angels (4/5) While the Rangers have made the World Series each of the past 2 seasons, I like the Angels here. Why? The Rangers' #3 pitcher, Yu Darvish, has never pitched in the majors. The Angels' #3 pitcher, CJ Wilson, was the Rangers' ace last year.

*Quick explanation of the odds if you don't understand: Basically the number on the left is the amount of money you win if you bet the number on the right. So if you bet 8 dollars on the Phillies, you win 5. No, that does not mean you lose 3 dollars. It means you get your 8 dollars that you bet back, and then they give you 5 more on top of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment