Sunday, February 26, 2012

Help Me Help You

Moving down to the South was bound to change my life in many ways, good or bad, intended or unintended. A lot of really great things have occurred and my life is much more fulfilling in many ways, most of which you aren't all that interested in hearing about. While there have been a couple less-than-positive adjustments, the one possible change that would have been the most crushing to us all never occurred: I was able to continue watching the Phillies with no real problem. MLB.TV was a glorious blessing in my life.

This year, though, may be different. Because of the location, Phillies games are at a premium here to catch on television. If they are on FOX or ESPN, then I can obviously watch with no problems. An occasional and random MLB Network broadcast is also always a welcome surprise. For the most part, though, I will be left with the option of heading out to Bailey's* or following the games on ESPN.com's GameCast. Those are not exactly the preferred methods of following the Phils for someone who lives and dies with each out. And, when you think about it, those methods of watching the games should really be of concern to you as well. Now I know what you're thinking: "Cameron, how is it that you can pull off any style of facial hair?" Well, that's a question for me to answer another time. For now, though, I will tell you why the style in which I watch the Phillies will affect YOU.

First of all, I hate watching with lots of other people around. When that happens, I usually am more concerned with the stupidity of the people around me than actually watching the game. No, not all sports fans are dumb. But, what kind of Men In Black fan would I be if I followed that logic? Agent Kay would be so disappointed. So rather than watch with a group of morons who "know" that Ryan Howard should have been traded in 2007, I'd prefer to spend time listening to my own thoughts and figuring out how to get them across to you in the best way possible.

And along with listening to my thoughts, we all know how important it is for me to listen to the majokers that are Christopher Wheeler and Thomas McCarthy. Complaining about them made up roughly 41% of my posts last year**, and I will rely on their horrendousness for even more of my material this year now that Raoops is gone. If I am sitting and reading a pitch-by-pitch update on a computer, I won't be able to hate them as much as I possibly can. And we don't want that, do we?

Lastly, I think it only fair that we all be on the same level here. I will definitely miss things that you hear or see if I need to use these other media for following the games, and, if we're being honest, it's WAY more important for me to catch everything than it is for you. Offended by that statement? I can't wait to read your blog! (Offended by that statement? Uh...sorry?)

So it is clear that this has a great effect on you. If I can't watch as many games as I would be able to if I were sitting in the greater Philadelphia area, we all suffer! And here is where you get to become the hero. Ready for it?

Many*** people have told me over the years that I should get paid for writing this blog. Congrats to those people, because you can make your own dream come true! The best way for me to watch as many Phillies games as possible is through MLB.TV. Last year, I was lucky enough to have bought it for Jeremiah for his birthday in April, then move in with him 3 months later and reap all the benefits. This year, money is a little bit tighter, and $125 is not something that I'm really excited about just throwing around (my trip to Kohl's today may tell a different story, but get over it. I'm an MVC). So I am posting today to solicit money via the internet. Phrasing it that way makes it sound illegal, and it very well may be. My number one life lesson learned from my father, though, is, "It's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission." So if I get some jail time for this, so be it.

All I am asking is that you send me $5 (with parents' permission for those of you under 18 years old). MLB.TV costs $125 for the year, and it will make your reading experience that much better, as I have already outlined. If I can get ANY amount of money, that would be a huge help. You can give more than 5, you can give less than 5, but the only thing I am asking you for is 5 dollars. I doubt there is any way that more than 25 people do this (really I doubt more than 0 people do this), and so you don't have to worry about your money just going in my pocket if too many people have donated. I don't really want to go through the amount of work that I put into this blog and act like I deserve to get paid millions of dollars for it, but if you're interested in that explanation for some reason, you can ask me privately. I am really just asking you guys, out of the kindness of your hearts, to help out a fellow fan and friend have the best 2012 Phillies season possible. It may sound desperate, and I'm totally OK with that. I don't really want to explain the extent of desperation that does or, more likely, does not exist in my financial life.

So, if you are the greatest person who has ever lived on this planet and want to send me a couple bucks, just send me an email (PhilsHighHopes@gmail.com), Tweet (@PhilsHighHopes), text, Facebook message, or anything else you can think of to let me know. I will then send you an address that you can send that to so you can help out this worthy cause.

I may end up getting $125 from this, or I may end up getting $0 from this. Either way, I still think that you guys are awesome, and I can't thank you enough for the support you've given over the years. If it weren't for you, there's really no chance I would continue writing this. And I absolutely LOVE writing this. So, in all seriousness, thank you for all you have given me already. I couldn't ask for more.

(Except that money that I just mentioned. Yeah...send me that.)

* Bailey's is the best sports bar in the world. They have tons of TVs and every sports package you can name, along with 5-6 that you can't. Also, they reward you for drinking beer! I've had enough beer there since moving down here that I've earned half-price wings. Forever. (This is not a lie. I got a t-shirt too!)

** If you want the complete breakdown, it was something like this:
46% hating on Raoops
41% hating on Wheeler/McCarthy
9% talking about nothing in any way related to baseball
3% loving John Mayberry
1% the word "majoke"
<1% talking about the Phillies

*** Two

No comments:

Post a Comment