Saturday, May 8, 2010

Witnessing History

I was lucky enough to get to go to the Phillies game last night. A $17 standing room ticket was more than worth what I got to see. Jamie Moyer became the oldest pitcher in Major League history to throw a complete game shutout.

I knew something special was happening as the game went. From the first pitch of every game, I am always thinking about a no-hitter or perfect game. Once Moyer gave up a leadoff single in the second, I could put those thoughts to rest. He then got a double play and the third out with no problem. Until the 8th inning, he did not allow another baserunner. Seventeen straight batters came to the plate and all 17 went back to the dugout without success. It was something I wanted to tell everyone around me, but I didn't want to jinx the amazing performance.

I was actually at the game with a Braves fan, and I told him at the beginning of the game when Moyer was looking good that he could at least count on 2 or 3 innings from our bullpen because Moyer would probably never throw another complete game in his life. Hearing Moyer announced as the leadoff batter in the 9th inning was one of the more exciting things I have ever heard at a Phillies game. And by the end, my Braves friend (oxymoron, I know) was rooting for Jamie Moyer.

Last season, I was at the stadium for a JA Happ complete game shutout. In 2008, I saw Brett Myers do it. I consider myself extremely lucky to have even seen one of these. However, none were anywhere near as exciting as this one. Jamie Moyer is often idolized and often criticized in Philadelphia, and so seeing him, at the age of 47, put together such an incredible pitching performance was truly special.

This will officially go down as the 2nd best Phillies game I've ever been to (behind the World Series clincher).

As for the remaining 2 games in this series, things are looking up for the Phillies. The Braves are nowhere near what anyone would have expected preseason, and the Phillies have absolutely dominated them in 4 games this season. Our only loss was on a game blown by the bullpen when Kyle Kendrick pitched 8 scoreless innings. Our starters have yet to give up an earned run against the Braves in those 4 games, including 2 complete game shutouts. Our pitching staff as a whole has a 1.25 ERA in those games with the Braves hitting somewhere around .176 against us. Compare that to the 5 runs we're scoring per game against them and our position players' .303 batting average, and you have quite a lopsided matchup between these two teams. I would expect nothing less than a sweep of this sad, sad team.

No comments:

Post a Comment