Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Predictions Revisited

Tonight's game was a tough one. Joe Blanton was solid, but that Garcia character is apparently for real.

The real story in this game, though, is the Phillies' 11th loss of the season. Although I did not put this in my 10 semi-possibly-bold predictions for the season, I did say, off the record, that I thought the Phillies would go 152-10 this season. Brace yourself, Koehler fans. I am, after all, slightly human.

This brings us to a good time to look back at those 10 semi-possibly-bold predictions. The season is about a month old, so let's check out my progress.

1. Roy Halladay will win 22 games along with the NL Cy Young Award
Halladay is currently on pace for 34 wins according to ESPN.com. That gives me some breathing room on the 22. He's thrown 2 shutouts, he's first in the NL in wins, 5th in strikeouts, and 5th in ERA with a 1.47. I'll say that prediction looks good right now

2. The Phillies will win 100 games (in the regular season)
They are looking at around 90 or 91 with their current pace, but I think that Jimmy Rollins being out is a big part of the lack of wins thus far. We were 5-1 with him and he was looking really good. Expect this number to spike again once he returns (whenever that may be)

3. Ryan Howard will hit over .290 and win MVP
The Big Man is at .280 right now and is losing the MVP race to Jayson Werth and Chase Utley at least. The batting average is looking possible. The other numbers usually show up when we return from the All-Star Break.

4. Jamie Moyer will become a great-grandfather
Jamie has 8 children, but apparently is not even a grandfather yet. Boy did I drop the ball on this one!

5. Raul Ibanez will miss significant time with some type of injury, and John Mayberry will end up hitting 15 home runs this season serving as his replacement
Still praying...

6. Shane Victorino will lead our team in batting average for the 3rd consecutive season
I meant RBIs. And the first

7. I will have a brain aneurysm listening to the Phillies broadcast team
I'm still going strong! The one positive of my inability to watch every game this season

8. JA Happ will end up having the highest ERA of our regular starting pitchers after having the lowest last season
In 2 starts, his ERA is 0.00. So let's hope he keeps that up with me still making an accurate prediction

9. A Phillies pitcher will throw a no-hitter this season. And it won't be Roy Halladay
Why did I try to make these predictions semi-possibly-bold? I couldn't have just stopped after saying there'd be a no-hitter? Thus far, Halladay would obviously look like the top candidate to do that. But no-hitters are usually pretty random so I've got a shot at this one.

10. The Phillies will win the NL East for the 4th straight time, the NL for the 3rd straight time, and the World Series for the 2nd time in 3 years. They'll beat the Minnesota Twins in 6 games.
We are in first in the NL East, but have struggled against the Cardinals (although in just 1 game) and Giants, 2 of the 3 NL teams with a better record than us. My AL pick looks better just about every day. The Twins are leading the AL Central and are 1.5 games behind the Rays for the best record in the AL. I still like the Twins to be our victims.

1 comment:

  1. Just saw that the Cardinals starters' ERA is 2.52 this season. And Adam Wainwright (tonight's starter) has had a quality start in 23 of his last 24 starts

    ReplyDelete